If you have been injured in a motor vehicle collision or as a result of someone else’s negligence, you might be wondering where to go from here. What are your legal rights? What are your options? What can and can’t the insurance companies involved do? What can you do? Who can you turn to for help and relevant advice? A personal injury lawyer can help you to navigate this difficult situation.
Here are 5 things that you need to know in choosing the right personal injury lawyer for your case.
1. Finding the right personal injury lawyer for your case will depend on the specific facts of your case.
There is no one perfect personal injury lawyer for everyone, but there may be a lawyer or law firm out there who is right for you. Selecting a personal injury lawyer is an individualized process.
2. There are many factors to consider in choosing the right personal injury lawyer for your case.
There are many factors to consider, including:
- The reputation of the law firm
- Is the law firm well-respected in the community and before the courts? Have they received positive reviews and feedback? Have they received any awards or praise for their work?
- The level of experience of the law firm when it comes to dealing with accidents and injuries like yours
- There are many types of personal injury cases and claims. Not every personal injury lawyer or law firm will deal with every type of personal injury case. For example, some law firms may not handle medical malpractice, product liability, or WCB cases.
- How comfortable you feel with the lawyers at the firm and their support staff
- Do they make you feel respected and listened to? Do you feel that you can comfortably ask them questions and get the answers that you need?
3. Don’t be afraid to do your research.
This might be the first time that you have ever had to look for a lawyer and you might be uncertain about where to even start looking. Choosing a lawyer to represent you, advocate on your behalf, and stand up for your rights is a big decision. Don’t be afraid to do your homework and look into the different personal injury lawyers and law firms that are practicing near you.
A simple search engine query can be a good place to start to give yourself a sense of the different firm and personal injury lawyer options near you. You may also want to ask your friends and family, or even your doctor or physiotherapist, for referrals or personal recommendations. Others in your social circle may have had experience with personal injury matters in the past and may be able to provide you with the names of the lawyers they consulted or retained.
You can also visit the Law Society of Alberta’s website. The Law Society maintains a directory of lawyers in the province which may help you in locating a personal injury lawyer near you. The Law Society of Alberta also offers a lawyer referral service, which can provide you with the names and contact information of up to three lawyers who may be able to help you.
4. Don’t be afraid to ask questions.
Once you have narrowed down the list of potential lawyers and law firms, or think that you have found the right personal injury lawyer or firm to take on your case, don’t be afraid to ask the right questions. There is no such thing as a bad question. Personal injury matters can have a significant impact on your life and you deserve to be well-informed and have all the information that you need to make a well-reasoned decision on which lawyer or law firm you want to retain.
For example, don’t be afraid to ask about the details of the retainer and to read any retainer or contingency fee agreement in depth. If you don’t understand something in the retainer or contingency fee agreement, don’t be afraid to ask the lawyer what it means. Keep in mind that the retainer or contingency fee agreement is a contract that you will be entering into with the lawyer or law firm, and you deserve to know what you are agreeing to in that contract.
You may want to ask prospective lawyers or law firms about their experience in dealing with cases and injuries like yours. You may also want to ask the lawyer about their practice philosophy, or what their practice is for responding to client communications and questions.
At the end of the day, the injuries that you have suffered can have a significant impact on your life. Selecting a personal injury lawyer or law firm to represent you is an important decision and you should feel comfortable asking questions and getting the information that you need to make that decision.
5. Many lawyers will meet with you for a free initial consultation.
Many personal injury lawyers offer a free initial consultation where you can arrange to meet them at their office and go over the basic facts of your situation and get a rough outline of your options going forward. This can be a valuable opportunity to meet with the lawyers at law firm that you are considering retaining, ask the questions that you need to in order to make your decision, and get an overall “feel” for the lawyers and the law firm.
The information provided on this website does not constitute legal advice and should not be construed as such. Moustarah & Company does not guarantee that this information is accurate or up to date. As a result, should you require legal advice, please contact a lawyer.